With over 50 years of experience, CMH Heli-Skiing and Summer Adventures has grown to be the largest heli-skiing and heli-skiing company in the world, operating 11 lodges in winter and 3 in summer in British Columbia, Canada. The company’s central office is located in Banff, Alberta, Canada.
The lodge maintenance station is responsible for carrying out the daily maintenance of the lodge, including preventive and active maintenance, as well as planning future maintenance needs. The position requires a team player capable of establishing solid relationships with the area management team, the reception and guiding team, CMH guests and the CMH office located in Banff, AB. This position requires the ability to work independently, solve problems and troubleshoot a wide variety of tasks in a remote location. Flexibility and creativity are essential.
This position requires solid basic knowledge in all aspects of maintenance, including plumbing, carpentry, electrical, water and wastewater systems, fuel systems, paint and machinery. This position also requires the use of desktop computers and various communication devices.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Level 1 occupational health and safety first aid (transportation approval an asset)
- Post-secondary institution diploma, preferably
- Experience in small engine repair and routine maintenance for generators, snowmobiles, chainsaws, and appliances
- Experience with general repair and maintenance of buildings, including painting, drywall, woodworking, basic construction, and basic installation systems
- Have a clear understanding and comply with all operational documentation and safety standards in force at the workplace, including:
- Occupational health and safety
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and Safety Data Sheets
- WorkSafeBC and Workers’ Compensation Board
- Government agencies, regulations, codes and directives
- Ensure staff comply with all building safety policies and standards, emergency procedures (propane shutdowns, fire evacuation procedures, etc.) and risk management around machines
Lead the MHC lone worker program during non-operating seasons
- Extensive computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- A motivated team player who is ready to step in and help other staff when needed
- Ability to supervise and prioritize multiple projects/tasks in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of personalities and age groups
- Detail-oriented with an ability to work towards overall goals and priorities
- Strong communication skills; able to provide, receive and act on feedback effectively
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- This position is required to live in a remote lodge environment during shifts
- Tasks are performed indoors and outdoors throughout the year. The noise level in the working environment is generally moderate; proper hearing protection is required in noisy environments
- Must be able to stand and be mobile for an efficient 11 hour shift
- Frequently required to climb ladders and have the ability to balance while reaching
- Regularly lift and / or move up to 30 pounds on a regular and continuous basis
- Occasionally exposed to damp and / or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and chemicals
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to non-slip shoes, gloves, helmet, hearing protection, eye protection
- Manual dexterity to operate a computer and other common office equipment on a constant basis
- This position is required to work weekends and holidays, depending on the needs of the business
- To perform this job successfully, a person must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily – reasonable accommodation can be made to enable qualified persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certain corporate travel may be required from time to time throughout the year for corporate meetings and workshops. You must travel to and from the workplace at the start and end of each shift. This may require driving on maintained forest roads during the non-winter months.
OTHER FUNCTIONS ATTRIBUTED
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the role described above. As the CMH evolves, the responsibilities of this position may change, as can the details associated with many tasks. In these times of change, this position requires flexibility and the willingness to accept new responsibilities and possibly transfer others.